Last night's Monday Night Football game inspired me to glam it up a bit in the nail department! In honor of the Packers, a (thus far) undefeated season, and the 2011 Superbowl win (a little late, I know), I decided on green polish with gold sparkles for the Monday night festivities.
1. First, I soaked my hands for 5 minute in warm water (Not too hot!) I usually add a few drops of tea tree oil to the water for a little something special.
2. I use Lush Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter around the nail to help my poor dry cuticles.
3. I lather on some Charity Pot or Dream Cream lotion, also from Lush to soften and moisturize.
4. Apply the first coast of Nail polish, I chose OPI's Jade is the New Black
I recommend doing one hand at a time when applying glitter so that you can keep the glitter off of the second hand while applying it to the first.
5. Apply the second coat of polish, make sure everything looks even! Also, be sure the first coat is dry before applying the second coat.
This next part can get a little messy, so I recommend putting down some paper, or you're likely to have glitter EVERYWHERE!
6. Shake a little bit of the Glitter out onto a piece of paper, spreading it out evenly.
As my grandmother always told me, a little bit goes a long way
7. Make sure you nails are dry for this part! Using you second hand, press some glitter onto one of your fingers. Then, gently press it onto one of the nails on your painted hand where you would like it to stay; either on the top tips of your nail, the top half, only one side, the bottom of the nail, or the whole nail, whatever you like!
8. Repeat this for each finger on the first hand. After putting the glitter where you want it, tap off the excess glitter onto the paper (very important step!)
9. Once you have the glitter in place, apply a clear coat over the top of your nails to lock in the glitter.
To avoid stray glitter pieces on the rest of your nails, make sure to dip the brush of the clear polish after every application. This will prevent the glitter from collecting on the brush as you apply it to your nail.
10. To really lock in the glitter apply a second coat of clear polish, adding more glitter if you like.
11. After this hand is dry, run it under gently running water to remove the leftover glitter from both hands. Make sure the polish is dry!
12. Repeat steps 4-11 for the second hand, and enjoy!
Cheers to the Packers! Go Pack Go!